You Are Here (and we were there)

You guys. YOU GUYS.
Omg.
It’s been forever.
Do you even remember me?
Quick recap.
My name is Sharon Wheatley, I used to blog all the time in cliff hanging blogisodes and I had dozens (a dozen? Maybe a baker’s dozen?) of loyal readers (shout out to my Aunt Barbara, Creason and my PTBF Mark Motz—ok, maybe I had three loyal readers…) but HEY, HI!

For anyone else, here is a quick recap—I used to blog, I wrote a book, I lived in New York, I moved to San Diego, I was cast in a show, and now I live in New York again.
That’s basically all you need to know.
Oh. And now my hair is kind of red. And it used to be more of a brown-ish-with-golden-highlights situation.
But that looked bad in the show I’m in because my hair matched my jacket.
So they dyed it red-ish.

This is me with red-ish hair. My mother would hate this picture, which makes me laugh and want to post it. Note: red-ish.

img_3032

Shazam! We’re all caught up!

I haven’t written in over two years? Three years….hold on…Geez, I don’t know. A long time.
I did write one blog last year and it gives you a quick snapshot of somethings that have gone down since we last met up (or if you are new you can skip it or read it or, you know, maybe you are already watching a video of a kitten giving a ducking a bath by this point, so, you know, let’s get on with it.)

Here’s what I’m writing about.

I’m in a show (as I said). The show is called COME FROM AWAY and it’s on Broadway, and you can come and see it and everything (I’m the one with the kind of red-ish hair and I may or may not stand on some chairs). And this show is set in, of all places, Newfoundland. And it’s a true story.
And I am going to tell you another true story, which is how a group of producers took a gigantic group of Broadway people to Gander, Newfoundland to eat a lot of sandwiches and do a concert in an ice rink.
And how it was better than being Beyoncé for a day.
Although maybe it’s not hard to have it better than Beyoncé for a day because, let’s face it, she’s got those newborn twins and has to be all famous and beautiful and still be a mom, which is hard and makes me exhausted just thinking about it. Let’s have a moment of silence and all think about Beyoncé and her babies and how she looked like the Madonna at The Grammy’s. Wait—not Madonna as in “Like a Virgin” Madonna, but instead Madonna as in the Madonna as in Jesus’s Mommy. Like this.

img_0002

You’re wondering how this all relates to Gander, Newfoundland. I understand your confusion and thinking I’ve maybe lost my marbles, but be patient. You’ll see. We’ll get back to Beyoncé in Newfoundland. I promise.

It started as all good trips to Newfoundland should, on a bus out of Manhattan at some unbelievably early hour. Even the roosters were asleep.

But it seems like I need to give you a bit of background on how we got here and what I’m talking about so I am going to do a Reader’s Digest version. Or if you are too young to know what that is, the cliff notes version. Or if you are too young to know what that is, the Wikipedia version. Or if you are too young for that, you are on the wrong web page and should be over on the Minecraft page, so get outta here.

Here’s the basic info you need.

On 9/11 the US airspace was closed. All US bound flights from foreign countries were grounded at the nearest airport. For many planes that airport was in Gander, Newfoundland which is on the northeast most tip of North America. Tiny little Gander has a giant airport because they used to refuel big airplanes as they headed over to Europe back in the middle of the 20th century. Eventually jumbo jets were built which could make the flight without stopping to refuel, so Gander became a tiny town with a giant airport and a population of just under 9,000 people.
On September 11, 2001, 38 planes landed in Gander and the town hosted 7,000 people from all over the world for 5 days.

And David Hein and Irene Sankoff wrote a show about it.
And I’m in it.

And lots of other people are in it.

IMG_2697

(Lots of other people. Honestly, these are astounding and great people. And they let me take their picture a lot.)

And we all went to Gander on our way to opening the show on Broadway. And YES, for those of you consulting your calendars, this was almost a year ago, and YES, I am just now writing about it, but hey now, calm down and read and enjoy because, you know, sometimes in this instantaneous world it’s nice to let something percolate. And maybe I use the word “percolate” when others might use the word “procrastinate” but if you are into semantics you should probably read something much more highfalutin with fewer typos.

Most of us have been together since the summer of 2015, when we did the shows first commercial production at the La Jolla Playhouse. We then went on to do the show at The Seattle Repertory Theater, and then at The Ford’s Theater in Washington D.C. We ended our run in DC in mid October, came to New York to do a shoot for Vanity Fair (that’s right, you heard me right, we were in Vanity Fair. Just look at us.

Have you ever seen a less likely crowd for a Vanity Fair shoot? We were beside ourselves. (PS zoom in on my shoes, they were awesome looking and almost crippled me) and then we all got a horrible night’s sleep and boarded a bus in Manhattan bound for Gander, Newfoundland.

It was a sixteen hour long travel day that involved two buses, two planes and a gift bag of Grey Goose, but to find out more, you’ll have to join me tomorrow for the next blogisode and find out WHO in our cast absolutely has to have their hand held on an airplane during take off and landing.
As in, if you sit next to this person on a plane and you are a complete stranger, you will end up holding this person’s hand anyway.

It’s fun to be back! Thank you for joining me!

About Sharon Wheatley

Mother of Charlotte and Beatrix. Sometimes an actress. Sometimes a writer. I'm glad you're here.
This entry was posted in Daily Dose (No Blogisode), You Are Here (and we were there) A blog about an epic trip to Newfoundland and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to You Are Here (and we were there)

1. Barbara A. Schlueter says:

Yes, I am still here–now and forever! XO Aunt Barbie

2. rosemary says:

you made me giggle with the data/generational reference: RD,CN, WIKI or get yourself over to Mine Craft! Hope you continue writing, your readership just jumped to 13.

3. Ashley says:

I find it hilarious that instead of changing your JACKET they thought the easier option was changing your HAIR. I don't know you, but I saw you in the show in June, I love your writing, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about the concert.

• Creason says:

Hi Ashley,
      I hate the color of that jacket and have had a conversation with Sharon about it. Evidently, the creatives love the jacket more than her hair (which is beautiful in any color…Diane's jacket not so much).
      Best,
      Creason (Sharon's fan since 1985)

4. Eileen says:

After stalking….er…uhm….following , yeah, that's the word.. after FOLLOWING Come From Away since right before the opening in San Diego, I found your blog a few weeks before the show opened on Broadway and read the entire thing in about two days (okay, I read from the beginning all the way thru the gallbladder stuff (being a year post op myself, I laughed, I cried, I laughed harder) non-stop, then kinda skipped around) Glad you are back and please excuse the massive run on sentence.

5. Mark Motz says:

I'm with Aunt Barbie. Welcome back. It's comments like this – "Or if you are too young for that, you are on the wrong web page and should be over on the Minecraft page, so get outta here." – that literally make me laugh out loud and want it to be tomorrow so we can see the next installment already.
    Plus, name checking me in the triumphant return… I'm always grateful for that. <3

6. Karen says:

I am so glad you're back. And that you're working, and in a show that looks like it'll run for a while. I've missed your comments, and my morning laughs from your writing.

Now to catch up on your news of the girls, who are probably now almost out of college and facing the world. Thanks for writing again!

7. Creason says:

Dear Baby Girl,
    I am so glad you are back.
    Your words feed my soul.
    XO,
    CAC

8. Elizabeth says:

YAY! Finally!!! Always loved following your story.

9. Kelly says:

I can't tell u how happy I am your back!!! That was the very best! I just adore u and you had me on the floor with the hair thing. Truthfully the whole thing. But also I love your hair! But like others, I do hate the jacket! but totally get why u have to wear that color. Also I still think about when I saw the show and how all I could think was how the hell did she get on the jacket that first time so flawlessly? I mean Flawlessly!! U are all amazing & u blow my mind. Anyway You are truly the very best and thank u so so much for being back! I think u are the bee's knees truly!! Keep the blogs coming!! man have I missed them and u! Again about the hair I saw u in the show when it was brown at the La Jolla playhouse and I thought it made the jacket look a little bit better. Lol but maybe that's just me.

10. Diane Davis says:

Love it! I'm also a negligent blogger. Love your snazzy red hair.

11. Heather MacDonald says:

Hahaha I'm literally laughing out loud 😂I'm in the too young for everything but Wikipedia age group, and I friggin love Come From Away, and Sharon Wheatley – this blog killed me ahahaha, like really, yeah lets change the her hair colour instead of the jacket?¿! I would not be so chill about that, but Sharon is so much cooler than me lmao, can't wait for tomorrows post!!

12. Kathy Wade says:

So glad you’re writing again, Sharon! You know what a big fan I am. It’s almost as if we can hear you speaking…your blog sparkles 😊

13. Betsy says:

This away-nic is so happy to follow your story.

14. Francine Kramer says:

I work at the theater and can't wait to read your daily blogs. I love every single member of the cast of CFA.

15. Molly Enfinger says:

God, I am so glad you’re blogging again. I just got done reading your other blogs- and, bam! New blog post!

I also read your book recently and fell in love. So excited for the blog revamp!

16. Linda S in PA says:

Have so missed your blog stories! Love that you are back!!! I want to plan a trip to NYC to see your show!!

17. donquixote978 says:

Sharon, I came across the link in a tweet today – I love your warm up for everyone.
    We've seen the show four times –
    July 2015 at the penultimate performance @LJPlayhouse with our kids 2nd Row
    Saturday Sept. 10, 2016 Matinee @FordsTheatre with friends in the Navy from Norfolk
    Saturday and Sunday Matinees June 3rd & 4th on Broadway to celebrate our 39th anniversary.
    I know that's not a record for the show but it's a RINGING endorsement for the show and all of you connected with it.